How can corporations be more socially responsible? originally appeared on Quora: the place to gain and share knowledge, empowering people to learn from others and better understand the world.
There are numerous ways that corporations can (and should) be more socially responsible. These methods include taking ownership of employee well-being, acting ethically on behalf of all stakeholders, and implementing policies that are eco-friendly.
Let’s focus on employee well-being. Here are six ways that companies can support employee well-being:
- Providing assistance with work-life integration. Since employees spend the bulk of their time at work, providing them with ways to blend work-life is critical, particularly since more employees work from home and those boundaries can become blurred. Help your team members create a Work-Life Integration Plan to ensure that all four areas of their lives are in balance: Business/Professional, Family/Personal, Intellectual/Spiritual, and Health/Well-Being.
- Offering mental health days. There will always be days when things go wrong, or we are not feeling our best. On those days, let your employees take a mental health day so that they can come back when they are feeling better and more productive (within appropriate parameters of course).
- Providing fitness memberships. The healthier we are, the happier we will be (and more efficient and productive too). Give your employees an incentive to take care of themselves by paying for their gym or fitness memberships/classes (yoga, Pilates, kickboxing, etc.). They’ll thank you for it.
- Creating a culture of acceptance. Let your team know that it’s okay to attend to other areas of their lives when they need to. It can’t always be just about work- there must be a blend to be in balance. Embrace this culture of acceptance.
- Giving team members ample opportunities to connect. Today’s workplace can be a little more isolating than it was in the past. Give employees the opportunity to get to know each other by hosting connectedness days, arranging group activities and challenges, and hosting team-building activities (virtual or otherwise).
- Expressing gratitude to stakeholders When employees know that you are grateful for their efforts, they will feel less overwhelmed and stressed, and more supported too. They’ll also feel more connected as part of the team. As such, express your gratitude to team members frequently and sincerely.